Re: PPA with Lucid backport of Python 2.7

On May 11, 2011, at 04:01 PM, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

>We would like to start migrating Launchpad to Python 2.7. That should help us
>also for the next LTS migration (since it's unlikely that 2.6 would be in
>it.)
>
>We talked in the past of providing a version of the next LTS python version
>in a PPA to make it easier for people migrating from LTS to LTS. Can we make
>this happen?

Hi Francis.  I've created this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~pythoneers/+archive/lts

I'll start populating it next week.

>For Launchpad, in addition to python, we'd need the following package
>available in the PPA:
>
>python-dev
>python-psycopg2
>python-apt
>python-geoip
>python-profiler
>python-svn
>python-subversion
>python-sqlite
>python-imaging
>python-feedparser
>python-paramiko
>python-openid
>python-openssl
>python-chardet
>python-tickcount
>python-lxml
>python-magic
>python-pygments
>python-subunit
>python-support
>python-pysqlite2
>python-pyrex
>python-egenix-mxdatetime
>python-egenix-mxtools
>python-amqplib
>python-gmpy
>
>I'm not sure we need the one in that list that are all architecture.

Cool.  Thanks for that list.  Just to be clear, we're going to backport the
Natty versions of these packages to Lucid, right?  I think that'll be more
successful than trying to back port Maverick versions, since some of the older
upstreams may have problems with Python 2.7.  That might mean a few API
changes for you, but I suspect they'll be pretty minimal.

There might also be differences between the Natty versions and even newer
upstreams that might show up in Oneiric or O+1, but I think we can cross that
bridge when we get there.

-Barry