Re: Performance tuesday: faster development

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11-05-18 02:38 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> But it would be an awesome one to change, because it would allow us to
>>> spin up instances of Launchpad at will.  That would allow us to QA our
>>> work immediately after it hits (db-)devel.
>>
>> I don't see how it permits that any more efficiently than we do today
>> - we already spin up new code in < 30 minutes after it hits trunk.
>
> By "trunk", do you mean stable or devel?  I mean devel.

We do it on stable, we could do it on devel if we want to: perhaps we
should. There is [probably] nothing stopping us doing that and it
would reduce the land->qa pipeline, with stable reporting on 'is
deployable'. We'd need to change the qatagger (to understand that
qastaging can run ahead of stable and not crash on missing revisions).
That should be a small change.

>> I suspect that in the short term we need a 1:1 mapping for the API,
>> but the behaviours of the model objects would not be duplicated to the
>> template service, only the surface -  what attributes exist. Methods
>> for the API we would want to explicitly map I think.
>
> This could work, but I think there's a risk that we'd take on a lot of
> extra redundancy.

Almost a certainty, but we we would be expecting it to pay for itself
in some fashion. Possibly we can avoid it by doing something like
using the interface declarations to map json dicts into live objects
automatically on the template service specifically for the API.

-Rob