Re: RFC: Accessibility policy

On 28 May 2011 00:39, John Arbash Meinel <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/27/2011 03:10 PM, Matthew Revell wrote:
>> On 26 May 2011 10:37, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> So, I've made one up. You can read it here:
>>>  <https://dev.launchpad.net/PolicyAndProcess/Accessibility>
>>
>> Thanks for caring about this and for writing a policy free of clutter.
>>

> Well, except for the 20 pages of specs that he referenced. Certainly I
> think the policy is nice and clear, but it does require a *ton* of
> background to apply. I was a little confused at first because I read the
> checklist document, which calls them "Priority 1, 2, 3" vs "A,AA,AAA".
>
> It certainly seems like sensible policy. I'm not sure if everyone will
> be versed enough in it so that it actually follows the "New development
> must conform to AA...".

To some extent perhaps that can be handled just reactively, when
somebody either complains about accessibility of something that
exists, or points out in testing or review that it will be poorly
accessible.  The W3 doc can then be an oracle for whether it is
important to fix or not.

I do wonder whether, when launchpad-project currently has 210 critical
and 1006 high bugs, it would be worth aiming for compliance at just
the lowest A tier first?  Or is it perhaps that A is either too poor
to be useful, or perhaps already largely met?

Martin