Re: Launchpad persona in Launchpad

On 2011-05-31 10:51, Robert Collins wrote:
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Jeroen Vermeulen<jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
The reality is that we already have what I'm asking for,

To the extent that we have a number of celebrities, yes.

No: to the extent that we have a specific celebrity for cleanup-related stuff that in practice gets stretched into roles it wasn't meant for.

because we can't do
without it.  Except we call it the Janitor, which is appropriate in some
cases and confusing in others.

So don't do it when its confusing?

That is what I am begging for, but I don't seem to be getting through.

We can't add new identities like Janitor ad hoc without adding them to each database that the code change will run against, including the sample databases. I don't think we want that. Therefore, what I'm offering for consideration is a Person object for Launchpad that doesn't purport to be just for one specific aspect of Launchpad.

Please don't use one service account. You asked for opinions and I
think every respondent suggested multiple things would be better than
one oft-used one.

Once again, this is not about accounts. I think it would be easier if you could either show a way in which they can realistically help solve this problem, or stop dragging them into it. But don't just keep repeating this straw man of "if we put our fingers really deep in our ears and pretend this is about service accounts, then it's a bad idea and then we don't need to discuss it."

Jeroen