Re: RFC: change from using lint to using a pretty printer

On 14 June 2011 01:55, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> So, I'd like to propose we do something other projects do: restrict
> lint to reporting on functional issues, and use an idempotent pretty
> printer to reformat our code automatically.

Do you have a pretty printer in mind? 30 seconds on Google didn't turn
up anything.

> We would add a post-commit hook in pqm that would reformat the changed
> files using the pretty printer, and we'd no longer need to spend any
> time thinking or worrying about formatting.

I think that's a neat idea. but the pretty printer has to be
completely trustworthy. The moment it makes one wrong assumption
(*that we notice*) about what was intended we'll all be trying to
learn the tricks and intricacies of the pretty printer instead of just
writing code that others can read.

On the whole, I think I'd prefer to silence the less useful warnings
from the linter (like 2 spaces before an inline comment, and blank
lines around locally defined functions).

I'd also just prefer to know that what landed was what I wrote and
what was reviewed.

Gavin.