Re: Derived Distros / Version Merge Worksheet

On Thursday 16 June 2011 09:20:38 Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> lifeless today pointed me at
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+localpackagediffs which is exciting
> stuff.

We only started on it 12 months ago :)

See all the other similar pages at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric linked from the "Derived from Sid"
portlet.

> You may already be aware of this, but several of us on the distro have
> "worksheet reports" to help us track packages needing merges, somewhat
> similar to +localpackagediffs:
>

> http://www.bryceharrington.org/X/Reports/ubuntu-x-swat/versions-current.ht
> ml http://people.canonical.com/~platform/desktop/versions.html

I had not seen those before, just the merges.ubuntu.com pages.

> Probably the two main things worth noting are the inclusion of links to
> the ultimate upstream package, and the heavy use of color to help show
> the degree of difference between the two distros, and to upstream.

The page links to the upstream package inside LP and the feature is designed
to only work inside LP for fully-hosted distros.  Debian is a bit of a special
case because we import its source packages into LP so that we can generate
that page.  I can't see us doing anything special like those reports any time
soon I'm afraid but I'm more than happy to take suggestions on how to improve
the existing page in a generic fashion.

The colouration is interesting.  What is it based on, the package version
divergence or the debdiff size?