Re: Etsy graphing using StatsD and Graphite

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, I could, that's the plan I outlined in my previous mail.  It's
> just that having played with graphite this week, going to tuolumne is
> a bit of a let down:
>
>  * creating and saving new graphs is a matter of seconds not minutes
>  * you can do math, with a large choice of functions, within the app
>  * load times are much faster (though that might now be approved)
>  * available metrics are in a tree organization, not a long flat list
>  * more options for how to arrange the graphs
>
> Obviously you can still get the data we want so it's still worth doing
> but it's more hassle and a worse payoff.

We have a huge investment in tuolumne; I think having lightweight
datagathering in Launchpad is a great thing to have.

I really see this as two entirely separate projects:
A - cooler graphing/reporting service
B - lightweight instrumentation to gather samples

There are no dependencies between A and B - we can have one without
the other; the two together are awesome, but I don't think waiting for
A to be clear makes waiting to deliver B at all sensible -> It would
be awesome if you finish B off.

-Rob