Re: Etsy graphing using StatsD and Graphite

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I could, that's the plan I outlined in my previous mail.  It's
>> just that having played with graphite this week, going to tuolumne is
>> a bit of a let down:

> I really see this as two entirely separate projects:
> A - cooler graphing/reporting service
> B - lightweight instrumentation to gather samples
>
> There are no dependencies between A and B - we can have one without
> the other; the two together are awesome, but I don't think waiting for
> A to be clear makes waiting to deliver B at all sensible -> It would
> be awesome if you finish B off.

Sounding like we want to spit metrics to a statsd server (txstatsd or
whatever), and export it to tuolumne. I suspect the existing method of
using a cronjob to dump stats to a text file and scp them across is a
pain in the bum to setup and maintain and not scalable. Using the
exiting statsd protocol seems saner than rerolling this sort of thing
with rabbit or similar as the transport.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/