What should we do if a user's email addresses have all bounced?

Hi all.  I'm trying to plan a fix for bug 341927, letting LP handle bounced email addresses.  Please consider this a mini- (or pre-) LEP, trying to describe the desired user experience, ignoring the implementation.  If you have an opinion, could you please comment?  I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the second bullet point ("If a preferred email bounces 'too much' for our heuristics...")

Thank you!

Gary

*** Desired behavior of bounce processing ***

* We send emails to each user's preferred email, as we do now.

* If a preferred email bounces "too much" for our heuristics (as informed by Barry's Mailman experience), then we send out emails to the email address once a week for (adjustable N) 4 weeks telling them of the problem, and inviting them to tell us to retry the address once they have fixed the problem.  In addition...
  - ...if there is another email address registered for that user that either has not previously bounced or has been reenabled by the user since then, then we automatically change the preferred email to another one for a user. [Alternative: we ignore the other email addresses; skip to the next bullet point.]
  - ...else if there are no other non-bounced email addresses registered for that user, then we mark the user as disabled, and give them a smooth, custom process to fix the situation when they log back in: they are taken to a list of their email addresses, and asked to add a new email address and/or mark existing email addresses as not disabled. This re-enables their account. [Alternative extreme: we simply stop delivering emails to this person (other than the bounce processor emails described above), and continue normally if they log in.  They can see the problem if they go to the email page.]

* When a user views their registered email addresses, they can see what addresses have been disabled due to bounces, and reenable them, in addition to setting preferred email and adding and removing addresses, as they can do now.

Follow ups