Re: What should we do if a user's email addresses have all bounced?

On Jul 8, 2011, at 5:37 PM, Martin Pool wrote:

> That sounds good.
>
> A few thoughts:
>
> * Marking the user as clearly disabled if they have no working email
> addresses has the benefit of possibly saving other users from wasting
> their time trying to talk to them (eg on a bug or question.)

Yeah, that crossed my mind too.  Thank you for calling it out.  Even if we do not use the "disabled" idea internally it would be a nice-to-have feature.

> * Having your account disabled due to bouncing mail probably should
> not block you logging in using that email address, if you still
> remember the password.  (Does that imply a different kind of
> disablement to other cases?)

Yeah, I agree, and yes, that implies that it is not what we call "disabled" now.  I think we need a different mechanism (which is a change in my thinking, to be clear).

> * It might be interesting to count how many addresses ever end up
> getting reenabled, and also how many addresses have some mail bounced
> but not all.

True.

> * I see some "I'm not getting any mail" irc questions.  I wonder if
> exposing the bounciness of an address in the web ui would be useful,
> even before it gets to the point of being disabled, just on the
> address page saying "%d out of %d mails sent to this address recently
> bounced."

I like the idea, though I'd prefer less detail: just a general warning (like a yellow light) that LP has some bounces for your preferred email address that are "active" given the Mailman-inspired heuristics.

> * Generally speaking telling people about mail problems through the
> web ui is more likely to work than telling them through mail. :)

:-)

I'm getting a feel for a revised proposal, on the basis of the emails I've received so far.  I plan to send it out later today.

Thank you

Gary