Re: Revised: What should we do if a user's email addresses have all bounced?

On Jul 11, 2011, at 9:54 PM, Martin Pool wrote:

> +1, I like the way you separated out the nice-to-haves.
>
>> Barry's flufl.bounce library
>
> lazr.* has some kind of annoying Ubuntu packaging aspects (eg
> http://pad.lv/796992), based off which I would avoid having
> independently packaged python modules with dotted names, and instead
> call it flufl_bounce or something.  (Perhaps it's possible to get it
> right and lazr just doesn't.)  But this is tangential.

Yeah.  Barry is intimately involved with all of that on both the Python and Ubuntu side AFAIK, and it's his library.  Agree generally though: namespace packages may not be reasonably usable till a later Python.

> One additional point: the warnings generated by this may be annoying
> to people who no longer care about getting mail from Launchpad.
> (Statistically there are always going to be many users impatient of
> our mail, since there is a long tail of people who register just to
> file a single bug.)  So it seems like there ought to be a clear link
> that says "really, just stop sending me mail" by disabling the
> account.  Perhaps that goes under nice-to-have.

Mm, I think that's a good point, though the "really, stop sending me mail" link might need to be equivalent to "Deactivate my account".  ...I will put this under nice-to-have, as you suggest.

> In implementation, this seems like something that could be ramped up
> gradually, just in case there is bad fallout.  Something like saying
> only for x% of users do we either take any action on bounces or send
> warnings.

Yes, some kind of trial period would be wise.

Thank you

Gary