Re: Another thing I'd like in our test suite

On 2011-08-16 23:51, Stuart Bishop wrote:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Gary Poster<gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Jeroen Vermeulen<jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

That said, ZCA probably ought to do a check like that on registration.

And slow the startup further?  I'd vote no.  This is something that historically has belonged in tests, and I think it should stay there.

If you know the internals, it would probably a 5 line test to check
that every registered utility provides its interface. And a few extra
lines to fix the test fallout... :-)

I suspect we might find rather more failures.

BTW agree with Gary that this is not something to insert into registration. Startup time is getting to be a serious pain¹.

Maybe I should just try this and see how many errors I find. What to do next depends on how bad the situation is:

If (virtually) no complaints: (fix problems, and) add the check to the test suite.

Lots of complaints: run check, poke people to fix their interfaces, repeat, add to test suite. I'd be happy to do that.

Drowning in complaints: either fix interfaces, or build a ratcheteer/spambot to make us drive them down to zero.

Jeroen
—
¹) Yes, I _have_ tried profiling and optimizing registration before complaining. ☺