Re: Build service thoughts

On Sep 15, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Martin Pool wrote:

>> Build numbers automatically increment for each build which saves the
>> minor hassle of having to do so yourself in the changelog.
>
>That could be nice.  Perhaps we can handle that - perhaps just as
>simply as making bzr commit in the branch suggest or generate a
>changelog entry, or something.

It seems like this one would be problematic.  Already dch -i doesn't always
get it right for my particular use cases (e.g. sometimes I want a ~version).

>> Packages are stored with packaging only and source in a tar file.
>> This simplifies the problem compared to our UDD process of having full
>> source branches in revision control.  Given the hassle full source
>> branches seem to make for UDD (still > 500 import failures, quilt on
>> top to bzr double revision control, notable new workflows for
>> packagers, definitive source RCS is upstream and ours don't generally
>> match) doing packaging only branches would seem to me to have been an
>> easy win but too late to change now.
>
>right.

Plus, as painful as it sometimes is, having the source right there after a
branch operation is very nice.  I just think we need to work out a better
quilt integration story.  I'm already usually able to muddle through, so I
don't actually think UDD is very far from being easy and convenient even in
the face of quilt patches.

-Barry