Re: ruminations on bug modelling

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Again, this particular model needs more work and I'm not saying we should
> just start using it as-is.  But future bug reporting and task tracking
> doesn't need another optional field; it needs a clear and explicit
> separation of symptom, diagnosis, and treatment.

I agree that it needs separation, one could argue however that that is
precisely optional fields (FSVO optional, and FSVO field :P). I'm not
intending to troll here, though it could be read that way.

I think the key difference isn't that its more data, its that its
-workflow- - the process by which things enter the system, move
through it, and get reported on and massaged - which needs to change.
Changing fields to separate symptoms/diagnostics and remedies is only
beneficial if it supports/is supported by a workflow - default values,
the whole shape-of-the-system - which will focus in on the right stuff
for the right user [reporter/doer/steerer].

-Rob