Re: ruminations on bug modelling

On 2011-09-19 03:13, Robert Collins wrote:

You may be interested in Kirit Sælensminde's work on bug classification,
which I summarize (not too well, probably) here:

http://pqxx.org/development/libpqxx/wiki/AllSoftwareIsBroken

I've seen that before I think, perhaps you mentioned it on IRC? I
think thats a good categorisation for user impact. It would be
interesting to have an (optional) field for that for user problem
reports. I don't know if the complexity is worth it : will most users
know enough to categorise it well? If many or most won't, perhaps
we're better offer assessing this ourselves?

I probably mentioned it before, yes. As for users knowing enough to use this: the whole point of this bug classification scheme is that it describes the problem from the user's perspective, and so the user gets it right more or less by definition. The development team's job is not to second-guess and twiddle the user's problem report, but to _add_ their more technical assessment to it. This also helps sort out permissions questions, hurt feelings, good problem reports proposing solutions, and so on.

Again, this particular model needs more work and I'm not saying we should just start using it as-is. But future bug reporting and task tracking doesn't need another optional field; it needs a clear and explicit separation of symptom, diagnosis, and treatment.

Jeroen