Re: performance tuesday: better batches are -go-

On 2011-09-27 19:26, Abel Deuring wrote:

I wrote a bit about StormRangeFactory in
https://dev.launchpad.net/Database/Performance

Thanks for that. I made some very small updates, on the principle that I should leave what I use slightly better than I found it.

One thing I'm not sure about: the text said that _calculating_ offsets is expensive. That's probably not exactly what was meant ("next_offset = offset + batch_size" can't be too expensive :), so I changed it to "finding the end of the result set, and skipping to the right offset."

Those would correspond to the counting query for the batch navigation widget and the OFFSET argument in the main query. But are they both part of the problem that StormRangeFactory solves?

Jeroen