Re: headsup: upcoming changes to oops-*

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Its my belief that we will still have *enough* greppability, and the
> benefits of easier extensions to the oops format will outweigh the
> downsides.

My concern isn't the greppability, but just general readability. Not
everyone will have a system setup to render an OOPS to something
readable. I just had the pleasure of being handed a raw OOPS from ISD
and just trying to read raw JSON is painful but doable. Reading raw
BSON will be impossible. People are not going to write their renderer
until *after* they have adopted the OOPS system, and people are not
going to adopt the OOPS system if they can't make use of the OOPS
reports.

Given we still need the RFC822 style format for readable raw reports,
what is the benefit of having a BSON or JSON format in addition?

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/