Re: To wiki or not to wiki

On 10/07/2011 12:42 PM, Martin Pool wrote:
On 7 October 2011 12:31, Robert Collins<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
  - I've flip-flopped over the years pro and con wikis for docs.
Currently I think they are great, measured by:
  * instant publication
  * existing infrastructure
  * 0 landing overhead
  - I think in-tree docs are essential for projects that ship product
to users: our individual reusable code components should have such
docs (both README and API, and *perhaps* a manual if appropriate).
  - Launchpad itself doesn't ship product to users, its online, and
putting our (non-API) docs in tree doesn't help users at all - it
forces us to publish them separately, which is more complex and
unnecessary.
  - Our documentation about using the API should be in-tree, so that
they can be tested and shown to work; they should be published with
the API (both the json web API and our programmatic API).
  - Truely conceptual docs, like the architecture guide, coding
standards, tips and tricks - that should be in the wiki
+1 to all of that.

lp still has some considerable landing overhead, compared to changes
to the wiki being very quick.
I really agree with this. I would be much less likely to contribute to a doc (I would probably never do small edits) if I then had to spend 30 mins to an hour of my time landing that change.

'docs rot' is a constant where ever they are; the main answer to that
is to edit boldly, either adding answers to new things when they come
up, or deleting.
I think one of the big things here is that with offline docs it is really easy to see what exists and to grep through to make changes. Additionally, the web interface gives us clear navigation (mostly by exposing everything). I find all those things a lot harder to do with a wiki like Moin (at least I'm not aware of any document management views that help with that).