Re: headsup: upcoming changes to oops-*

Sorry, for some reason this has been sitting around unsent.  I wondered why no one had replied! :-P  So anyway...

On Oct 4, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> On 11-10-04 05:54 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Actually thats a lie, this mail is about changes that have already
>> happened, *and* about some upcoming changes.
>>
>> The exciting news is this: - oopses will be much more extensible -
>> a bson serializable dict is used, rather than the rfc822 format
>
> bson-serializable, or bson-serialized?
>
>> - we may have low latency (several second) delays from oops
>> creation to inclusion on the oops-tools site
>
> Yay!

Yay!  This will be fabulous to have.

>> The downside, and the reason for this mail *before* enacting all
>> these changes, is that the change to bson will make OOPSes less
>> greppable on devpad.
>
> Oopses have a lot of text, so the standard unix tools work well with
> them.  Why not use json rather than bson, to retain that compatibility?

Until the oops tools have more valuable searching available, I'm skeptical of switching the format.  I must admit that every time I've needed to do "real" analysis of OOPSes in the past several months, I've gone straight to devpad and skipped the oops tool entirely.

Until we  build a much more powerful oops search tool than we have now, I'm -0.5.  I don't go the full way to -1 because I believe Robert's argument is that they are still greppable.  Maybe so, but I'm worried about the change.

I'd like to see some experiments with actually trying to do OOPS analysis on the filesystem with the proposed format before actually switching.  That's no demand, of course, just stating my position.

Gary