Re: Bug tagging

On Oct 7, 2011, at 10:06 AM, Danilo Šegan wrote:

> У сре, 05. 10 2011. у 11:02 -0400, curtis Hovey пише:
>> Prefixes are unneeded, search support all or any tags.
>
> But that provides no useful hierarchy between tags.  If I just typed
> "code-" to get all code-hosting related tags, they might speak out at
> me.  A tag like "branch-merge-proposals" wouldn't have the same effect:
> without keeping all the tags in one's head, you don't know how specific
> a tag might be ("ok, this is a problem with diff updating on the branch
> merge proposal page: do I look for diff generation tags, merge proposal
> tags, code hosting tags...?").
>
> Maybe that's a moot point (tags are not, by nature, hierarchical), but
> hierarchy is easier for people to fathom when they have to deal with it
> day-in, day-out, compared to a long flat list.
>
> OTOH, this could make tag spellings longer than they have to be.

Ah, right, thank you for reminding me of this Danilo.  The idea is that it is easier for people with less expertise in a particular LP domain to accurately triage bugs if the prefixes teach us about hierarchy.

So, yeah. I still like the prefix story.  Not everything needs a prefix, but when concepts really are nested, I think it will help us.

Gary