Re: Reviewer question about style of new objects in JavaScript

On 11-10-28 09:28 AM, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> On 11-10-27 07:55 PM, Ian Booth wrote:
>
>> My view is that I would rather adopt a consistent approach to
>> these sorts of things, rather than using various design patterns to
>> achieve the same end result.
>
> I guess I see it differently.  To me, it's not about design patterns,
> it's about whether to add an extra layer.  I think it's not the same
> result, because using YUI's oo means there's a whole bunch of extra
> YUI code involved.
>
> I just didn't see a strong reason to have an extra layer, and I wanted
> to get more experience with JavaScript's native oo.
>
> I'd agree that consistency can be a good reason, but AFAIK, both
> styles of oo are used in Launchpad, so either would be inconsistent.
> And I also think that any JavaScript programmer ought to be familiar
> with JavaScript's native oo.  They'll encounter it sooner or later,
> perhaps even when debugging their own YUI-oo objects.

I really liked Ian's summary of why we should standardize on YUI.Base,
but I can understand your simplicity (get rid of extra layers) perspective.

It's also true that both styles are currently in use in Launchpad, but I
think we all agree that's a source of confusion. And unless I'm missing
something, there is no way we could standardize on the JS-style without
ditching YUI. We bought-in the YUI framework already, so we might as
well drink the kool-aid.

I guess what I'm trying to argue is that in a large system, consistency
beats local simplicity.

Cheers

--
Francis J. Lacoste