Re: Reviewer question about style of new objects in JavaScript

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Francis J. Lacoste
<francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's also true that both styles are currently in use in Launchpad, but I
> think we all agree that's a source of confusion. And unless I'm missing
> something, there is no way we could standardize on the JS-style without
> ditching YUI. We bought-in the YUI framework already, so we might as
> well drink the kool-aid.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to argue is that in a large system, consistency
> beats local simplicity.

I think there are pros and cons there: take the SOA project for
instance - if we went for consistency with our microservices, they
would all be a full zope stack, with lazr.restful for their APIs.

I think in a large system, consistency should be the default, and we
should have a reason (such as dramatic simplicity, or client side
performance) for being inconsistent : consistency often beats
simplicity :)

In this particular case, I think a few things:
 - knowing the layers is important, but having a direct implementation
isn't the best way to make sure folk know whats under the hood (they
may end up just avoiding that code).
 - in the absence of benchmarks, I think that YUI is in use in fairly
performance sensitive properties (yahoos alone for starters) and that
the costs are probably well understood
 - but that benchmarking and deciding to go without YUI here on the
basis of the results would be a compelling argument for me.

-Rob