Re: hacking MHonArc to be a microservice

On Oct 28, 2011, at 03:06 PM, curtis Hovey wrote:

>I think however Barry, that you really care about predicable URLs. We
>want to include the URL of the message that *will* be archived in the
>outgoing message footer. This is impossible with MHonArc and Pipermail.
>I do not think this is hard to solve. Lp requires each message to have a
>unique message-id. Lp drops any message that reuses an id, and so to
>does our mailman additions. We can  construct a URL using the URL
>encoded message-id. eg:

Definitely read this page for our current thinking about this:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Stable+URLs

We have RFC 5064 support in MM3 (not likely added to MM2), and I have
implemented the proposed extension of X-Message-ID-Hash - it wasn't very hard
at all.  We've had discussions with The Mail Archive about this scheme and I
think we've generally got buy-in from them, although I don't know whether
they've enabled it.  In fact, the guys at TMA analyzed their own database of
messages (I forget the details, but IIRC it was millions of messages) and,
after filtering out spam, the number of Message-ID collisions was incredibly
small.  Way too small to worry about.  I think this validates LP's policy of
discarding messages with duplicate IDs (which MM3 does now too), and that a
unique identifying hash based on just the Message-ID can work.

>Since I have your attention Barry. I have assumed that I can run the new
>service in parallel with the existing archive by updating the queue
>runner to also call both old archiver and new archive.

In LP's version of MM2, it will take a small amount of hacking, but it should
be doable.  In MM3, it would be like, easy, eh? :)

-Barry