Re: UI simplification to "fix" a timeout

On 2011-11-08 22:13, Raphaël Badin wrote:

A solution could be to keep the numbers when the total number of owned
branches is<10000 branches (that should be quick to compute) and to
display the simplified menu otherwise… I'm not sure we want to go there
though.

If it's really a simple case of SELECT count(*) FROM Branch WHERE owner = 4321 then we can:

 * Check column stats: is 4321 in the list of most frequent values?

 * If so, report inexact value from the stats.

 * If not, do the count.

Works best if the most-frequent-values list is large enough to cover the vast majority of branches but a minority of owners.

Jeroen