Re: An normal UX for Launchpad

On 13/11/11 02:49, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Nov 12, 2011, at 06:39 PM, Martin Pool wrote:

One putative reason they might be distinguished is that people like
opening lots of tabs from Launchpad (as an accommodation for load time
etc),
Not just for load times, but also for issues with navigation (many of which we
covered at the UDS sessions).

and this doesn't always work for ajaxy links.  However, it is
possible to make ajaxy links have a regular target that can be opened
in a different window, and some of Launchpad's green links do work
that way, and perhaps the others could just be considered (maybe low
priority) bugs.
I do think it's nice that Launchpad visually identifies links that pop up
ajaxy windows and those that transport you somewhere else.  I've certainly
gotten used to the green meme for that, and I think it's one of the things
about Launchpad that works well.

I agree that this is a useful metaphor. It's similar to desktop apps having an elipsis in menu items to signify a window will open. I think know you're about to do a page load is a useful bit of information in some cases, irrelevant in others.

I want to think about how we can do this better. If it really is important that a user know whether they are about to do a page load then I don't think making the link green is a strong enough identifier. It wasn't until I joined the Launchpad team and read a bug about the colour of the green links that I discovered what a green link meant.

It is possible that we could use buttons, or place an icon with the link instead of colouring the link. I'm sure there are more options.

-Barry