Re: text markup in launchpad

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 07:35:55PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> It would be nice if user text within Launchpad could be more than just
> plain monospace. <https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/391780>
>
>  * to let a Launchpad project or person homepage be more like a
> project's real home page, at least for small projects
>
> This is a step towards what people mean when they say they want wikis,
> but it's one particular aspect of wikis that is pretty well defined.
>
> Markdown is popular, is used on AskUbuntu amongst others, has Python
> and js libraries, and is not bad to type.
>
> We will probably want to tweak the renderer to at least keep
> highlighting 'bug 123' and perhaps more in future.  python-markdown
> looks like it can be extended reasonably well without actually
> patching the code.
>
> Proposal:
>
>  * Add python-markdown as an egg
>  * Hook it up as a TAL renderer
>  * At first do this only for, say, project descriptions, and only
> behind a feature flag.
>  * If that works, roll it out over larger scopes.

+1 to the proposal, this definitely sounds like it would be a step in
the right direction.

bug highlighting is definitely important (along with 'lp #nnn',
etc. formats).  Auto-linking for branches, blueprints, and other
Launchpad elements should be investigated.

Simple table support would be nice too.

Bryce