Re: Developing interactive mockups for new features

On 11/22/2011 10:13 PM, Deryck Hodge wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Richard Harding
> <rick.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On the one hand I can understand, however I think one of the great
>> principles of this kind of work is the chance to produce a real prototype.
>> Any prototype should be trashed once complete. In this way you're
>> encouraged to perhaps go out on a limb more during this stage since you're
>> not going to be stuck with any decisions made except the UI interactions.
>> Secondly, you don't get attached to the code so you won't spend the time to
>> make it more robust and resilient since "it's going to turn into production
>> code".
>>

> I have to agree with Rick.  The moment you start thinking about coding
> more than prototyping it defeats the gain to be had from doing
> prototypes first.  Why not just start coding? :)
>
> However, I do completely understand the pain.  Doing HTML by hand is
> super, super slow.  I did an HTML prototype for the custom bug
> listings feature and it was an incredibly slow and tedious process.
> I've done this a number of times at other companies before Canonical,
> too.  The work itself is never much fun, in terms of coding.  The fun
> is always in seeing the product taking shape.

Consider the friction we have doing many iterations. We are refactoring
our prototypes because they are huge and small changes break them.

Testing revealed that user comments are dominated by features users take
for granted in Lp. We are writing psuedo-code to imitate existing Lp
behaviours.

Spike do not produce production code, We do not believe any of our
interactive mocks have. What we write will be rewritten so that it is
robust and testable.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui