Update on the custom bug listings beta

Hello everyone,

Four days into the custom bug listings beta, here's an update on
what's happening. Aaron's CCd so maybe he'll add to this and/or
correct me.

We have some polish still to do, that it'd be nice to have done before
the end of the beta:
 * The initial version of the "please wait" spinner should be landing soon.
 * Huw's looking at how to align items so that they appear in the same
vertical column, without introducing actual columns (bug 897097).
 * The wrong order-by widget is highlighted when loading a page from
its URL, rather than re-ordering using the buttons (bug 894836).
 * The order of the fields displayed in the customisation widget needs
to make sense (bug 894743).
 * We're showing small icons next to several items of info (reporter,
milestone, age, for example) but those icons aren't convincingly
useful (bug 897096).
 * Some people have reported the gear icon is easy to miss (bug 894729).
 * Reset to default view doesn't work in Chrome/ium (bug 892211).

There are some questions we need to answer, too:
 * Tags, milestone, person, package/project: these are not linked ...
should they be? What to? (various bugs)
 * The bug listing arrows appear to be backwards (bug 894535). Do most
people agree?

And a couple of bigger things we need to think about:

 * How do we help smaller screens users (over 50% of LP visitors) make
the most of the new data they can see in bug listings, while enabling
wider screen users to see as many bugs as possible in one go? (bug
894442). Basically, we need to make it so you can have status,
importance, number and title without straying onto two lines.
 * What should the default ordering and info be?

Overall, the feedback has been positive. People really like the
ability to customise the information shown and to easily re-order
listings. The new design has gone down pretty well, with the caveat
that we need to consider how to cater for people who want to see many
bugs on screen at once.

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager