Re: notifications - an implementation straw man (warning explicit discussion of services follows)

On 28 November 2011 19:46, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> print "create temporary table temp_topic_events (topic integer, event
> integer, date timestamp );"
> print "begin;"
> for event in xrange(10000000):
>    topic = int(random.random() * 10000)
>    days_old = int(random.random() * 720)
>    print "insert into temp_topic_events values (%s, %s, now() - '%s
> days'::interval);" % (topic, event, days_old)

I realize I can do that.  My concern was more that (in fact as you
told me just the other day) local load tests are poorly correlated
with how something will work with realistically-distributed data under
production load on production hardware. Also, that RTs are very
backlogged (I just touched one that's 10 months old), and all else
being equal something that can make progress without requiring
sysadmin changes is desirable.

But it's stupid to argue that something is difficult.  Eventually it
probably does want a separate db; and that db may be easier to scale
and manage than one huge one.

--
Martin