Re: notifications - an implementation straw man (warning explicit discussion of services follows)

On 29 November 2011 10:39, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We can implement a current-interest only view by revising history when
> folk become interested in/lose interest in some events. This would be
> an asynchronous process - it wouldn't happen immediately that they
> e.g. leave a team, but shortly afterwards.
> Yes. I think regardless of the UI / interaction design we choose,
> having the database reflect 'what the person was interested in' is
> appropriate - because that is key to delivering indexed responses -
> rather than reconstructing interests at some arbitrary historic date,
> we have an asserted 'this is what interested them at that time' - we
> can of course rewrite that [fairly trivially] if we want to calculate
> their prior interests with some new team memberships etc.

I'm not sure how to reconcile those two statements.  Are you saying
the database will primarily be "what was interesting in the past" but
there will be a secondary table of "what past events are currently
relevant"?

> This is
> complicated [a little] by teams being deleted and merged and so forth
> - but as long as we choose one UI *goal*, the implementation is still
> quite tractable.

OK, but what is the UI goal to be?  istm a view of currently
interesting past events is  a better ultimate goal, if it can be
reasonably implemented, or even perhaps if we don't get there
immediately.

--
Martin