Re: "thanks" microservice

On 8 December 2011 03:51, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There is a button ("thanks" or thumbs up) on various objects for which
>> someone might express appreciation: ppas, products, bugs, bug
>> comments, mp comments, etc.
>
> I think that it would be better to think of it as saying thanks for
> particular events, rather than on particular objects. I'm not sure I'd
> ever want to say thanks for a bug, but I'd like to say thanks for
> filing a bug.
>
> As a case in point, a generic "Thank you" button on an MP would be
> unclear. Does that thank the submitter? one of the reviewers? the
> branch author?
>
> Perhaps this distinction would not matter in the implementation.

I do agree, and I discussed some of this in my previous aborted mp.
It has to be a thing with which one can recommend, agree or express
gratitude, depending on exactly how we cast it.  (Quora even has both
upvote and thanks with different connotations.)  It is indeed easier
on objects with a single author like a comment.  "Thanks" for a bug is
ambiguous: "thanks for filing", "thanks for fixing", sarcastic thanks
for ever having the bug, or just another "me too" for fixing it.

But, the thanks-tracking service doesn't really need to care: it just
accumulates the counts and we can put them where ever makes sense.

--
Martin