confusion about status of launchpad-buildd, plus buildbot updates

Hi all. I have been trying to nail down what is going on with buildbot and I have some questions. Julian wasn't sure of the answers, so I'm opening up the list (with a special ping to Martin because of the launchpad-buildd relation and his recent work there).

The summary is that launchpad-buildd, Launchpad, and Launchpad's build & integration tools currently seem to be in an odd broken relationship with one another, and I want to fix it.

The state of things as I know it:
- wgrant's recent launchpad-buildd fix fixed repeatable Launchpad test failures, as reported by Martin, Benji, and Francesco, locally and in ec2. - buildbot does not have launchpad-buildd installed, according to investigation by both thedac and gnuoy. - My recent lxc lucid instance (updated to new packages with unrelated-as-far-as-I-know pain documented elsewhere) does not have launchpad-buildd installed either, despite having the most recent launchpad dependency packages installed (102).
- buildbot continues to pass its tests.
- Julian reports that we do have tests that start up a buildslave. I assume at least some of those are the ones that failed for Benji and Martin.

My tentative conclusions:
- launchpad-buildd is supposed to be installed everywhere, but it is not.
- relatedly, it is not part of the launchpad-dependencies metapackage (confirmed http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-committers/meta-lp-deps/trunk/view/head:/debian/control <http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Elaunchpad-committers/meta-lp-deps/trunk/view/head:/debian/control> ) but it should be. - if the tests don't find launchpad-buildd, they cope, either by hiding the tests or by going down some code path.

Julian could not confirm these conclusions. Could Martin, William, or someone else confirm? If we know what needs to be done, we can find someone to do it.

On a related note and in line with Robert's desire to have buildbot automatically update packages from the CAT, I also checked with the WebOps as to whether they would let the buildbot user have this power on the buildbot slaves (pilinut and pigeonpea). gnuoy wasn't sure, but left the question as part of his EoD report for someone else to address.

Thanks,

Gary

Follow ups