Re: Milestone tags

On 13 December 2011 22:53, Brad Crittenden
<brad.crittenden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linaro has escalated an issue which stems from the fact a milestone must be unique within a project, which prevents them from having a single milestone view across different product series.  For instance if they want to release a version of GCC 3 and GCC 4 they are prohibited by database constraint from creating the same milestone in both of those series.
>
> The initial plan for solving the problem was to relax the database constraint and allow reuse of milestones within a project.  That change would have a lot of implications and would satisfy Linaro but potentially confuse the rest of our users.
>
> An alternative solution would be to keep the milestone constraints as they are but to add milestone tags, which would behave similarly to the way bug tags work.  All milestones that need to be tracked together would be given the same tag.

As discussed in our call, I'm happy with the milestone tags idea. I
think there's a slim risk it could further complicate our already
somewhat complex project management; it's worth that risk, though.

> * Milestones can have zero or more tags, just like bug tags.
>
> * A new project group page <projectgroup>/+tag/<tag> will be produced to show all items associated with the milestones tagged with <tag>.  It will look very similar to <projectgroup>+milestone/<milestone> but the milestones will be filtered by the tag.  (See attached mockup, page 1.)
>
> * The project group overview page will have a new section titled "Milestones" and in it will be a text entry box with a search button.  Use of the search will take the user to the +tag page described above.  The entry box will autocomplete known tags.  (See attached mockup, page 2.)

I'd like Huw to look at the mock-ups and Dan to look at the help pop-up text.

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager

https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell