Re: Getting rid of Ubuntu archive admin shell access

Hello Colin,

Colin Watson [2012-01-09  2:52 +0000]:
> The fact that Ubuntu archive admins require shell access to ftpmaster to
> get their work done has been a wart for as long as I can remember

Agreed, thanks for starting another effort to reduce it!

>  * Have I missed anything that archive admins use cocoplum for
>    (disregarding manual inspection of the archive that could just as
>    well be done on a mirror such as lillypilly)?

I have actually tried to use the API/web UI as much as possible, but
these are my cases which currently still need shell access:

 * Copying packages from -proposed to -updates/-security regularly
   times out when using the API (sru-release). This happens 100% with
   the kernel, unity, and banshee, and also often enough with other
   packages. From my POV this is one of the main blockers.

 * The web UI often times out when accepting large NEW packages. It
   helps to accept them one by one, but sometimes even that times out.
   The API might behave better there, but usually it feels like
   timeouts hit about the same time from either.

 * change-override, but that's already covered by your spec.

 * I use shell access for source/binary NEW review, just because it's
   way easier than having to download all the source/binaries first.
   But I wouldn't count this as a blocker, we can just as well do that
   from our machines, or from any other DC host for really large
   packages.

Thanks,

Martin