Parallel testing project checkpoint - 2012-01-25

= Parallel Testing checkpoint 2012-01-25 =

== Actions from last meeting ==

 * [yellow] Reproduce existing parallel LXC setup

    * Completed
    * Some of the set-up was integrated into LXC itself.
    * Other bits automated in the setuplxc script.

 * [yellow] Close some of the existing bugs

    * Close a bugs or two and punt a couple more to Robert.

 * [flacoste] Requisition test hardware

    * [[https://rt.admin.canonical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=50242|RT
#50242]] filed and hardware ordered.

 * [yellow] Establish experimental plan to assess final hardware need.

    * Postponed to phase 2.

 * [yellow] Make prediction for success criteria

    * Will be able to assess the overall impact of the project on the
    overall cycle time graph.

    * Importance success dimensions according to Robert:
        * Is it reliable? That's more or less directly under our
        control as given some of the technology choices that were made.
        * Does it scale? Which means that how long the test suite takes
        is a function of the money we are willing to spend.
        * Is it maintenable?

The project has now three distinct phases.

== Milestone 1: Get a repeatable deployment story ==

 * Juju charm for buildbot slave and master
 * setuplxc to run tests in parallel LXC containers

 * Should be demoable in two weeks.

== Milestone 2: Run tests to determine final hardware requirements ==

 * Benji wondered if hyper-threading configuration is something we
   should take into account. Robert says that's probably not exposed
   from the webops point of view.

 * Should take about one week and should be completed in two iterations.

== Milestone 3: Tun tests repeatedly and root out fragility ==

  * Currently, there is only one instance of a bug known to affect the
    test suite.
  * So total time might be very low, but it will really depends on what
    we find once we start running this over and over again.

== Action items for next checkpoint ==

  * [yellow] Complete juju buildbot master charm
  * [yellow] Complete juj buildbot slave charm
  * [yellow] Add ability to run parallel tests within the buildbot
     slave automatically

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx