Re: Feature Request: Like/Dislike Buttons

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Laura Czajkowski
<laura.czajkowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> I came across a question today on launchpad Questions that I thought would
> get a better discussion on here first before I or anyone else replies to it.
> The question is could like/dislike buttons be added on bugs which would
> would encourage more interaction and also like many other sites nowadays
> have a +1 to comments
> https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/187822

I think this is a bit tricky to get right actually. A lot of requests
come through to make bugs more social or more forum-like. This would
have to be done carefully or the very thing meant to curb out of hand
discussions would only lead to more of that.  e.g. the more it looks
like a forum post or social stream, the more the bug gets treated as
such.

It would be better to outline the actual problem well -- i.e. bugs
discussions get out of hand and are hard to follow -- and build tools
to fix that problem, leaning on popular, well-designed patterns
obviously, rather than blindly reproducing another site's feature
without understanding it or what it might lead to.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge