Re: Polls: where to go next

On 20 February 2012 18:08, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:17 AM, Francis J. Lacoste
> <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> A third alternative would be to replace our complete 'Poll'
>> implementation with a simple front-end to
>>
>> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/civs_create.html
>>
>> Where the team admin creates the CIVS poll from Launchpad and we fill in
>> the email addresses when forwarding the request to CIVS?
>
> That still requires disclosing the email addresses; if the team
> members have chosen not to disclose the address, it is in tension with
> that choice. The one-time/time limited forwarder concept allows a way
> around that: we send them email (as they are willing for us to do) but
> it cannot become a spam source. That said, I'm not sure one-time is
> sufficient for CIVS: I believe it acks your votes via email.
>
> We didn't use to have hidden email addresses. I think that this is a
> distraction: we should ask Ubuntu to decide that: to be enfranchised
> in Ubuntu, you must be able to be communicated with via email, and you
> must allow your address to be shared with the voting system in use
> (currently CIVS). This is what /used/ to happen back in the founding
> of Ubuntu before the hidden email options were added to LP.

That's pretty much the conclusion Francis and I just came to in a
hangout: I should go back to the community councils and say that we
believe the best option is that if you want to vote in the Ubuntu
community you have to agree to sharing your email address with the
team admins. Then, we have some space in queue, we escalate a bug to
allow team admins to d/l a list of email addresses.

As this would be a change for all teams, it's something we should do a
little more research on; nothing heavy.

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager