Re: idea: cheap tweak to karma to reduce blueprints imbalance

On 15 February 2012 11:36, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Robert Collins
> <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> .... include blueprints and bugs in the same bucket for karma
>> normalisation. (On the basis that blueprints aren't distinctly more
>> valuable than bug reports to a project).
>>
>> I realise this ignores the bigger questions around karma, but it seems
>> like a cheapish thing to me.
>
> Maybe drop rebalancing altogether?

What was the intention behind rebalancing? To encourage more activity
in the lesser used parts of LP? To show that even a relatively small
amount of activity has a larger impact in a lesser used part of LP?

What does rebalancing give us? Seemingly unfair karma scores.

I wonder if karma's time has passed. We know that some people value it
but perhaps it's one of those things that doesn't justify its
maintenance costs. Are people *really* motivated by karma? If so,
karma is such a poor reflection of value provided that I imagine karma
only serves to disappoint most people who find it genuinely
motivating.

If we did kill karma, I'd lobby to keep the list of karma earning
actions at ~/+karma; the most useful aspect of karma, to my mind.

If the karma score went away, but we kept the activity list, would
anyone miss it?

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager