Clarifications about native support for blueprint work items

Hi,

There has been some confusion about what those changes actually mean and
how they will affect the people and tools that make use of the Blueprint
whiteboard to keep track of work items; I hope to clarify them here.

Our goal with adding native support for work items in LP[1] is so that
we can implement progress reports that take work items into account[2]
instead of just Blueprints.

Since the beginning we've planned everything so that for users there are
no visible changes (i.e. they will continue to enter the work items in a
text field using the exact same format as before).  You can see that on
the attached screenshot, together with the warning shown to prevent
work-items from being accidentally entered into the whiteboard.
Although we put the warning to prevent workitems from going into the
whiteboard, if somebody accidentally does that it will be trivial to
manually migrate them as the two fields use the same format and UI.
Also, notice that LP now parses/validates the work items (using the same
rules used by status.u.c) when the user saves them, so we should no
longer see parsing errors on status.u.c.

We also didn't want the existing tools (i.e.
launchpad-work-items-tracker) to have to be rewritten to work against
native work items, but that came naturally as we didn't change anything
for users.  In order to keep lp-wi-tracker (status.u.c) working we just
had to change it to get the WIs from the new field instead of the old
one[3].  Since the format is the same in both fields, the rest will just
work (famous last words, yeah ;).  If there are any other tools
extracting work items from the whiteboard, they will also need to get
them from the new API attribute (.workitems_text).

Once those changes are live we are going to migrate the work items from
the whiteboards of all Blueprints to the native format.  This should
happen only a few minutes after the changes have gone live and from then
on the work items will appear in the new field under the whiteboard,
using the same format we have today.  Out of the ~2500 Blueprints we
have with work items, around 270 (only 150 of those created after
2011-01-01) cannot be migrated[4] because they have work-items that
cannot be parsed, so in those cases we will leave the whiteboard
unchanged and notify the BP owner/assignee about the failure to migrate.
 For those BPs they can, in less than a minute, copy-n-paste the
workitems from the whiteboard to the new field, fix the errors reported
and save them, to have them migrated.

All of the above is implemented, QAed and we're confident it can be put
in practice without causing any significant disruption to the users of
Blueprints in LP, but we understand that there may be some concerns with
this so we're happy to delay this until we've dealt with them.

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/launchpad-dev/msg08782.html

[2] https://dev.launchpad.net/Projects/WorkItems

[3]
https://code.launchpad.net/~salgado/launchpad-work-items-tracker/use-new-workitems-lp-property/+merge/96135