Re: Thoughts about forks and patches, esp. in LP eggs

I have a few questions inspired by the events that lead to at least
two of our forks, and various experiences in Ubuntu.

How do we preserve our velocity while working with upstream? Do we
wait for upstream to be totally happy before we move forward? Do we
monkey patch? Do we have a transient fork?

What should we do when upstream are hard to work with? E.g.: they've
broken API compatibility in trunk and our patches vs trunk are totally
different to patches vs what we are using, and upgrading what we're
using is nontrivial .... and trunk isn't releasable? Or what if they
only release once a year, or if they really don't want our patch? Or
if they want to polish the patch a great deal more than we need it
polished, before they'll consider landing it?

What if upstream aren't in bzr? How do we 'make a branch' there?

Would we upgrade a dependency for a service that is working fine and
has no other work planned for it?

Cheers,
Rob