2012-04-20 Yellow retrospective meeting minutes

Attending: benji, frankban, gmb, gary_poster
Apologies: bac

= Project plan =

We're waiting on IS & fixing bugs.  We all knew this.

= Tricks learned =

benji: re-remembered apt-get build-dep: get all build dependencies. Nice for Python packages. Worked well to get dependencies for testrepository development. Used virtualenv to update dependencies past what the system had.

frankban: lxc-ip script (slack time): ctypes is new. learned that buffer overflow erros are still a concern in a ctypes; made a slice trick to prevent as a quick hack; is curious to know if there is a better approach. Maybe explicit ctypes constrained buffer?

frankban: gary_poster asked him to mention how he solved the UncleanReactorError bug 974585. he made a temporary patch for zope test runner that checked after each test to see if some undeleted callbacks remained in the Twisted reactor. This identified the problematic test.

gmb: if you criticize your own project, you will make friends quickly, and they will tell you ideas on how to make it better. This worked nicely for ideas on how to improve LP developer documentation, which he would like to have for his UDS talk.

= Successes =

Nothing to learn from.

= Pain =

== subunit/testtools/testrepository coordination ==

We experienced a lot of coordination pain, blockage, and stop and go when trying to get subunit/testtools/testrepository support for identifying the tests that each worker ran for a given test. Jono Lange was a huge, gigantic, Superman help, but coordination outside of the squad was still slow and rough. We discussed this a bit but eventually agreed with benji that the kanban board worked exactly as designed. We pushed everything through to the end, we did some interesting slack time studies, and we don’t have WIP blocking us from taking advantage of the progress.

== Duplicated work ==

[This topic was from two weeks ago, when we forgot to have our meeting.] We duplicated work with jml on testtools. In this case, we could have done better: we did not file bugs and mark our participation before diving in. Doing these sorts of things--updating coordination artifacts to reflect reality--is important. Coordination still might not happen, but there is no chance at all if you don't use the accepted communication channels. Triggers to make us update or file bugs are important. Sometimes we can be working on one task, and find ourselves trying to solve a related bug along the way without ever communicating the effort. Can we identify triggers, or mental checkpoints, to make sure these coordination opportunities are followed? We did not discuss.