Launchpad running PostgreSQL 9.1

Hi.

We just cut the master Launchpad database over to PostgreSQL 9.1, and
all Launchpad systems are now dealing only with PostgreSQL 9.1
systems.

The old master will remain unused but live for another few hours along
with the unmigrated slave running PostgreSQL 8.4 allowing us to easily
rollback to 8.4 if any major hiccups happen. Things look fine so far
though, and the old 8.4 master database will be dropped before the
weekend for disk space reasons.

Next on the PostgreSQL infrastructure agenda for Launchpad is
replacing Slony with PostgreSQL streaming replication, available out
of the box since PostgreSQL 9.0. This will simplify our production
environment and make fast downtime deployments faster. It also allows
us to use synchronous replication, an option for making our load
balancing more efficient. I'll be looking at this once we have moved
more of the Canonical systems over to PostgreSQL 9.1.

I expect Launchpad applications to benefit greatly from the update,
immediately from planner improvements and in the very near future by
being able to replace our GiST indexes with GIN indexes speeding up
our text search. It also paves the way to updating the database
servers to 11.04.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Follow ups