Re: LEP: Improve our Launchpad setup scripts

On 05/21/2012 10:03 PM, Timothy Chavez wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 02:09 PM, Francesco Banconi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've written a LEP draft about Launchpad setup scripts improvement.
>> The Yellow squad, as you already know, is working on the parallel tests
>> project, which uses https://launchpad.net/lpsetup as part of its process
>> to create the required testing environment.
>>
>> We are improving lpsetup so that it can be used to set up Launchpad
>> development instances, optionally inside LXC containers, and that's the
>> reason of this LEP.
>>
>> If you are interested please glance at
>> https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/LaunchpadSetupScripts
>>
>> Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated.
>>

> Why is juju out-of-scope?  A charm would give you multiple deployment
> options, including LXC, out-of-the-box and it would make deploying LP
> consistent with how we want to deploy other services now and in the future.

Hi Timothy.  Thanks for your reply.

This is currently Francesco's slack time project, but our whole squad
will work on it if we get the time and direction for a stretch goal in
our current project, so I'll respond.

We'd love to see lpsetup used to build a Launchpad charm, and we think
some variation of that would be pretty easy to do, but a charm alone is
too constrained for our needs on the yellow squad.  We suspect that's
also the case for others.  (For background, we install Launchpad in an
LXC on a Juju-deployed EC2 instance of a buildbot slave and provide a
number of customizations to make it easy and reliable to test as a
not-very-privileged system user.)

Therefore, we marked Juju out of scope.  If community Launchpad
contributors really asked for it, we could move it up to "nice-to-have".
 A simple version, which would take about an hour to spin up, probably
would be pretty easy.  Faster spin time would definitely be out of scope
for now, IMO.

As an aside, while we do hope that we will deploy production Launchpad
with Juju in the future, my understanding is that IS is waiting for Juju
to have tighter integration with Puppet.  At this time, then, a charm
would be a pure developer charm, rather than a true model for future
deployment.  That's valuable, but not as encompassing as what I
understood you to be suggesting.

But anyway, if you want to contribute to Launchpad and you'd really be
helped by a Launchpad charm for devs, let us know.

Gary