Thoughts requested on implementation of bug #1016776 (-proposed NotAutomatic pre-release)

Hi there,

[ I've tried to send this several times without success, so apologies if
you receive multiple copies. This one should work. ]

I filed bug #1016776 about adding some extra flags to the Release file
for the proposed pocket of pre-release distroseries, to improve the
end-user experience there.

My proposed implementation is to generate these flags when:

  a) the distroseries is in development, which means that its status is
     DEVELOPMENT or FROZEN
  b) the flag proposed_not_automatic_pre_release is set for this
     distroseries

But stub raised during his db review that the column name is horrible.
One alternative (suggested by wgrant) would be to name it
proposed_not_automatic, which would imply that the implementation would
be to generate the flag in the Release file when:

  a) the flag proposed_not_automatic is set for this distroseries

This would mean that there would be a manual step to change the flag at
release time.

I think I prefer the former implementation, as it matches what we are
doing with proposed currently. Colin landed some patches to auto-accept
uploads to proposed for such development distroseries and there will be
some more work coming to redirect all uploads to proposed for
development distroseries (which will then be copied to release). So,
since we're already (going to be) treating it quite differently for
development series, we might as well spell out the user part of the
expectation too.

I'm not opposed to the other implementation though, if that's what
people want. An argument in favour of that might be that we at some
point hope to make proposed NotAutomatic post-release too (#1016454).
We're not ready for that yet, though, until some more client-side work
is done.

Another idea could be to have the shorter column name and the first
semantics, with the status check being removed if it is later decided
that this is desirable.

Advice?

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]