Re: Buildout download cache and egg directories.

On 4 September 2012 07:22, Robert Collins <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't have a particular view on the specifics for achieving this,
> but I will note that we currently have achieved it. So, if we change,
> please:
>  - change it across the board
>  - don't break the sysadmin installation use cases.

I expect that python-pgbouncer will only ever be installed as a
test-time dependency of something larger, e.g. Launchpad. Its buildout
environment is only used for development of python-pgbouncer, not in
its role as a dependency of Launchpad.

Put another way, Launchpad has a buildout cache, for CI and
deployment, but python-pgbouncer on its own does not need one, unless
we want to build it in a net-limited environment, e.g. a landing bot
in the Canonical DC.

Many projects that we maintain that do not solely serve Launchpad's
purpose would be served better by *not* forcing a cache, keeping
things unsurprising for potential contributors, keeping them as
upstream projects.

It may be interesting to run these project's test suites with the
dependency versions that Launchpad imposes, which may differ from
those typically used when developing those projects independently. For
example, we might develop python-pgbouncer with a recent version of
testtools from PyPI, but as part of Launchpad it might run with an
older version. However, I don't think we should do this by forcing
python-pgbouncer to be in lock-step with Launchpad.