Re: js timeout issues on ec2 due to deep js namespaces

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Richard Harding
<rick.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Gavin Panella wrote:
>
>> On 18 September 2012 18:51, Richard Harding <rick.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > var ns = Y.lp.registry.product.view;
>>
>> Why is doing this not enough? It seems that getting rid of nested
>> namespaces is a fairly big piece of work in order to avoid best
>> practice as above, i.e. simulating `from module import thing`.
>
> This comes down to debugging and the time it takes to debug. There's
> something fishy. This would all pass locally without any issues. It only
> failed in ec2. The code and test were really pretty small and there were
> less than a dozen namespace lookups. It's possible that narrow those down
> via the 'var ns' would have allowed the tests to pass, but with the long test
> times to verify how much change was required to pass, I'm not certain yet.
>
> Personally, I think there's some weakness in the JS test runner, but more
> work is required to figure it out.

I don't think there's any weakness in the test runner, at least not
concerning this error.  We have a small timeout value in order to
force us to think about js performance.  I think it's good this
timeout occurred and forced us to address this, even if it was
maddening to try to figure out where the issue was.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge