Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Archive management plans for phone RTM

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 06:31:02PM -0700, Robert Park wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  * CI and Foundations team members will spend the next two months making
> >    sure that all the tools we need are in place.  This includes fixing
> >    up derived distributions, preparing an initialisation script, making
> >    sure that the CI engine (train or airline, as appropriate) can handle
> >    building for a derived distribution, and adding support for
> >    ubuntu-touch image builds from derived distributions.
>
> What will be involved in bringing CI Train up to speed for derived
> distributions? Currently CI Train is able to do releases targeted at a
> "series" (trusty, utopic), or arbitrary PPAs.

It'll still be a series, just not a series of Ubuntu.  All it needs is
the ability to target series of a different distribution.  This will
involve:

 * replacing the "/ubuntu/" part of ppa.launchpad.net URLs
 * parameterising the various places that the "ubuntu" distribution is
   hardcoded in cupstream2distro/launchpadmanager.py
 * adding "distribution" options anywhere we currently have "series"
   options
 * possibly adjusting anything that uses pbuilder or similar to use a
   different archive mirror URL

You can look at the various tools in lp:ubuntu-archive-tools for a
model: pretty much all of those take -d/--distribution options as well
as -s/--series (or -s/--suite).

> The PPA option would have been a lot easier from a CI Train
> perspective, requiring no code changes on our end.

In some ways it would have been a simpler option, but the lack of
isolation from the parent distribution is really a killer.  PPAs weren't
designed to support this kind of entirely-independent use.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]