Re: Better design for PPA page

On 25/05/15 21:05, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I couldn't get dev copy of Launchpad running on my
> machine in 2 hours, and I am not sure I will have time
> to revisit this, so I've just made a mockup of the PPA
> page as I'd like it to be.

As discussed in the other thread, the initial bzr branch can take a
while, but it should be quick once rocketfuel-setup eventually finishes.
Did you run into problems other than slowness?

> Tracker item and description is here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/1458513
>
> Before:
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/207411021/Ubuntu%20PPA%20Page%20Before%202015-05-25%2012%3A40%3A29.png
> After:
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/207411033/Ubuntu%20PPA%20Page%20Fixed%202015-05-25%2012%3A40%3A29.png
>
> It is a quick draft that needs some polishing. I just
> don't want to waste much time on that right now.

The new installation instructions are a great improvement. Much clearer,
thanks.

A couple of points about them, though:

 - The GUI method (under System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other
   Software) is easy to describe, and should probably be included
   before the command-line equivalent.

 - The trust warning should be before the command. Many users know that
   Launchpad is where Ubuntu's official packages are hosted, and
   they're liable to just read down totthe command and run it without
   reading the warning after it.

Let me know what you think about those two, and if you have any problems
getting set up for development. These changes would mostly be in a
single page template, lib/lp/soyuz/templates/archive-index.pt, so
they're a very good place to start for a new contributor. We're very
happy to help with any issues you have.

William.