Re: getting the source

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 2:47 PM, William Grant
<william.grant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Now that Launchpad has beta Git hosting support
>>> (http://blog.launchpad.net/general/git-code-hosting-beta), we intend to
>>> move the code for Launchpad itself to Git in the coming weeks. There's a
>>> test import of our Bazaar branches into Git at the top of
>>> https://code.launchpad.net/launchpad, from which you can do a shallow
>>> clone if you desire. But it's not always up to date, and not supported
>>> by the Launchpad team yet.
>>
>> That would make my life easier. Is it possible to update the page with this
>> info? And also update Running page with info how to run LP if you already
>> have the copy of source code?
>
> As I said, it's not ready yet. The page will be revised to use the Git
> repository when Git becomes the primary VCS for Launchpad's code. Nobody
> runs Launchpad from Git yet, so it's untested and we can't recommend it.
> We also can't yet accept merges from Git repositories, so a Git clone is
> only useful for read-only work today.

I can test and send you patch files. It seems easier than grok Launchpad
merge/branch model.

> The Getting and Running pages could indeed use some work, and you have
> some very good points. But I think it's a better use of time to fix them
> as part of the Git rewrite, rather than making big changes to content
> that's only going to exist for a handful more weeks.

That's cool. How I can be kept notified when that happens?

On the other hand, updated documentation would save me some hours,
and fixing should not be more typing that replying to this list for somebody
with wiki edit privileges. Here my three attempts to launch launchpad:

http://piratepad.net/15min-launchpad
http://piratepad.net/15min-launchpad-2
http://piratepad.net/15min-launchpad-3

>>> Some people just want to look at the code, for example to work out why a
>>> particular piece of Launchpad behaves the way it does. It's much quicker
>>> to download it that way than using the full rocketfuel-setup script.
>>
>> If you're going to download unusable code, it should be mention at the top of
>> https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting as a first thing.
>> Now after 20min+ I have a copy of sources, read them and interested
>> to see how it really works. I need to repeat the download process now?
>> https://dev.launchpad.net/Running
>
> It's not unusable, but the automated setup script will not use it
> without tweaking. You can pre-seed the download location from a local
> branch like this:
>
>  mkdir ~/launchpad
>  bzr init-repo ~/launchpad/lp-branches
>  bzr branch /path/to/local/launchpad/branch ~/launchpad/lp-branches/temp
>  rm -r ~/launchpad/lp-branches/temp
>
> rocketfuel-setup will then avoid redownloading the data, as it's already
> in the shared repository that it would normally create at
> ~/launchpad/lp-branches.
>
> The script will be replaced when Launchpad switches to Git, and the new
> one will not be quite so picky.

It seems that that `utilities/update-sourcecode` worked ok to populate the
working copy after `bzr branch lp:launchpad`. It showed some errors, but
they did't look critical. I only wish it did download all the branches
by default,
because I couldn't finish waiting for it to finish.

>>> But if you want to run it, you want to use rocketfuel-setup. That's why
>>> there's no TL;DR -- you don't want to bzr branch lp:launchpad if you
>>> want to do more than look at it.
>>
>> This is also more complicated than necessary:
>>     bzr --no-plugins cat
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel/utilities/rocketfuel-setup
>>> rocketfuel-setup
>> why not
>>    wget http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel/download/head:/rocketfuelsetup-20070604080655-qvg2xintg0bed61s-1/rocketfuel-setup
>> ? Is it because bazaar web doesn't support pointers to latest file version
>> and all downloads require specific hash?
>
> Loggerhead, the software that Launchpad uses to provide a web UI to
> browse Bazaar branches, doesn't provide a URL to download the latest
> revision of a file without the rather ugly rocketfuelsetup-2007... bit.
> That makes the "bzr cat" method rather less complicated, albeit slower.
>
> Git solves this with
> <https://git.launchpad.net/launchpad/plain/utilities/rocketfuel-setup>.

Yes. Here is the bug.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/loggerhead/+bug/1414470
Looks like nobody uses that feature to upvote. Or nobody uses loggerhead,
or nobody knows where a bug tracker for it is, or nobody can understand
how to report buts.

> Thanks for the feedback on the Getting and Running pages. We'll
> definitely keep it in mind when we rewrite them as part of the Git switch!

No problem.
--
anatoly t.