Re: getting the source

On 26/05/15 18:58, anatoly techtonik wrote:

>>> That would make my life easier. Is it possible to update the page with this
>>> info? And also update Running page with info how to run LP if you already
>>> have the copy of source code?
>>
>> As I said, it's not ready yet. The page will be revised to use the Git
>> repository when Git becomes the primary VCS for Launchpad's code. Nobody
>> runs Launchpad from Git yet, so it's untested and we can't recommend it.
>> We also can't yet accept merges from Git repositories, so a Git clone is
>> only useful for read-only work today.
>
> I can test and send you patch files. It seems easier than grok Launchpad
> merge/branch model.

There's nothing complicated about submitting patches. Read through
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/mini-tutorial/ to get going
with Bazaar, and let us know if you run into any problems with getting
it onto Launchpad.

>> The Getting and Running pages could indeed use some work, and you have
>> some very good points. But I think it's a better use of time to fix them
>> as part of the Git rewrite, rather than making big changes to content
>> that's only going to exist for a handful more weeks.
>
> That's cool. How I can be kept notified when that happens?

You can subscribe to the wiki pages.

> On the other hand, updated documentation would save me some hours,
> and fixing should not be more typing that replying to this list for somebody
> with wiki edit privileges. Here my three attempts to launch launchpad:
>
> http://piratepad.net/15min-launchpad
> http://piratepad.net/15min-launchpad-2
> http://piratepad.net/15min-launchpad-3

None of those include any details about the errors you encountered. You
also seem to be using experimental container technology (LXD), and to
never have actually run rocketfuel-setup. The instructions on the
Running page work fine, and we recommend following
https://dev.launchpad.net/Running/LXC if you want it in a container.

If rocketfuel-setup doesn't work, we need precise details of what you
did and any error messages before we can help.

>>> If you're going to download unusable code, it should be mention at the top of
>>> https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting as a first thing.
>>> Now after 20min+ I have a copy of sources, read them and interested
>>> to see how it really works. I need to repeat the download process now?
>>> https://dev.launchpad.net/Running
>>
>> It's not unusable, but the automated setup script will not use it
>> without tweaking. You can pre-seed the download location from a local
>> branch like this:
>>
>>  mkdir ~/launchpad
>>  bzr init-repo ~/launchpad/lp-branches
>>  bzr branch /path/to/local/launchpad/branch ~/launchpad/lp-branches/temp
>>  rm -r ~/launchpad/lp-branches/temp
>>
>> rocketfuel-setup will then avoid redownloading the data, as it's already
>> in the shared repository that it would normally create at
>> ~/launchpad/lp-branches.
>>
>> The script will be replaced when Launchpad switches to Git, and the new
>> one will not be quite so picky.
>
> It seems that that `utilities/update-sourcecode` worked ok to populate the
> working copy after `bzr branch lp:launchpad`. It showed some errors, but
> they did't look critical. I only wish it did download all the branches
> by default,
> because I couldn't finish waiting for it to finish.

update-sourcecode downloads everything it needs by default. What didn't
it download?

William.